|Hinsdale County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
application materials are subject to all Federal and
State Public Records Laws.
For more information call Human Resources Office
Hinsdale County Employment Opportunities
Hinsdale County is taking applications for
ACCOUNTING ADMINISTRATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES
|Click link to download a
TITLE: ACCOUNTING ADMINISTRATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Positions is 40 hours per week
Hiring Salary range: $30,250-41,125
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under the direction of the Hinsdale County Administrator, processes monthly payroll and
administers human resources, including all employee insurance and benefits. Fulfills all
accounting functions, including financial reporting, accounts payable and receivable, handles
sales tax reporting and distribution and heads up the audit process. Prepares the County
Budget, under the direction of the County Commissioners and Administrator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not
include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The County reserves the
right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time.
• Payroll: Processes monthly payroll and prepares payroll checks. Prepares paper work
for new hire and terminations. Updates payroll status changes. Prepares monthly voucher
requests for payment of retirement, health benefits and other deductions. Transmits payment
of payroll taxes. Maintain all personnel files. Prepares various payroll reports and payroll
returns, including quarterly, year-end and W-2s.
• Human Resources: Administers employee health, welfare and retirement plans,
including enrollments and terminations. Processes all changes and paperwork. Distributes
materials from carriers, communicates changes to employees, conducts employee training in
these areas. Resolves discrepancies with carriers. Administers payroll claims and audits.
Acts as a liaison between employee and insurance providers to resolve benefit or payroll
related problems and ensures cost effective and legal use of plans. Ensures plans are
administered in accordance with federal and state regulations and plan provisions are
• Sales Tax Reporting & Distribution: Watches and reports changes in sales tax;
distributes sales tax between the Town of Lake City and Hinsdale County and any special
• Accounts Receivable: Provides backup to accounts receivable clerk.
• Budgeting and Audit Duties: Determines, delegates and/or assists with the tasks
necessary to comply with the auditors' requests. Prepares budget packets and assists the
County Commissioners, County Administrator and the departments with the budget process.
Prepares draft and final budgets under the direction of the County Commissioners and County
Administrator. Assists the County Administrator with the preparation of the budget message.
• Grant Administration: Provides backup and assistance to the Grants Administrator.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business or related field and/or equivalent experience; and
training and experience in human resources, payroll administration employee benefit plans,
and health and welfare. Familiarity with employment laws and regulations, including COBRA,
FMLA and HIPAA.
This position reports to: The County Administrator
This position has supervisory and/or management responsibility for: Accounts Receivable,
Front Desk and Grant Administration.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Knowledge of payroll principles, practices, methods and procedures
• Knowledge of Fund Accounting, including the use of the modified accrual basis of
• Knowledge of current computer technology and ability to use or learn a variety of
application software programs
• Strong knowledge and understanding of insurance regulations, plan designs, and third
party record keeping and administration required
• Ability to remain versatile and flexible while simultaneously managing multiple tasks and
interacting with people in a busy office
• Ability to work closely and effectively with co-workers to provide excellent customer
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public,
co-workers, and supervisors
• Ability to work under minimal supervision, to exercise independent judgment, and a high
degree of initiative within established procedures
• Ability to read and interpret a variety of complex rules, regulations, and other materials
• Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to effectively manage time
• Ability to problem solve
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills